Climbing the Heights

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Journal #22 Jazz Technique III Class #22

So,
as I begin this post, I realize that I'm not precisely matching class date to class date. But I also know that sometime my perfection can get the better of me. I see that the true point of all this is to just express what I've learned over the course of this semster. And with that being said, I will continue somewhere not far from where I left off.
Following the costume shopping. Che and I arrived a little early back to campus as he has a Modern Dance class before our jazz class. This was fortunate for me as I had some time to kill. After getting a little bite to eat. I changed and went over to the studio to see if it was being used. To my great surprise, it was not! So, I actually had pleasure of warming up a little and practicing before class for a good 30 plus minutes!
I found that there was quite a bit that I still to this day need to work on. I think the most important part is sticking with it. Someone reminded me the other day of the importance of being physically present. I think that it's easy for one like myself to talk about practicing more, and scolding myself for not doing so, but when it comes down to actually doing it, that's quite another thing! Yet, if you make it a point to be present or be at the place where you will practice, once there, it's a little harder to get distracted, because now you're committed. So, as I look down the road to where this may one day take me, I see that it really comes down to discepline, and deciding that you will really do what you say you will do.
Without that, quite frankly nothing else matters. You must set aside the time and practice, for when you do, profound things will happen: you will grow, you will improve, you will be encouraged. But if you do not discepline yourself: you will forget, you will "get rusty," you will be discouraged, and you may even lose interest of pursuing it all together.
So to conclude this observation, it takes discepline to see progess in all aspects of life, in which was wishes to succeed. A disceplined life is a better life, it is a life worth living. A wasted life is a worse life, and one worth forgetting.
Striving for excellence in the everyday opportunities,
The Dancing Devil Dog

No comments: