Climbing the Heights

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Journal #23 Jazz Technique III Class #23

So,
as I come to the close of the trilogy recap, let me express a few more observations from these past few weeks. I suppose one particular event worth mentioning, relates to my ballet class. Over the course of this semester I have discovered real growth in my technique, particularly in ballet. I have taken on a class which initially, I must confess I was a bit concerned I would be able to grasp much from. Yet, to my great surprise, with but a bit of practice and diligence, and a heart full of dreams and desire, I was able to improve, far more than I imagined!
Over this semester I have befriended a few of my fellow dancers in the class. One in particular has be most helpful to me, and I am most greatful. She has spent time after class, going over choreography, and working on particular steps in technique where I am weak. And over this time she has taught me many good things, which I will likely take with me through the course of my career. In the last few weeks, my instructor in addition to my "tutor," suggested that I take some outside lessons in addition to classes here in dance to help me improve particularly in my technique. And so, I looked into taking some classes at a school called: The Dallas Metropolitan Ballet, which conveniently is across the street from my job. So, about a week or so back, I met with the instructors of the school and they suggested that I sit in on a placement class to see where I will fit.
I admit I was excited, but also quite anxious. As it turned out, I realized that it was going to be a bit more challenging than I had initially anticipated. I would be the only male dancer in a class of woman half my age, who had danced since they were quite small. And, this was an advanced company class, so there was little more I could do to humiliate myself! But, I tried to the best of my ability to keep up and do the best that I could with what I knew and what I was learning. Although, it seemed like the class would never end, eventually it did. And as the class started the wind down, the instructore pulled me aside and suggested, not to my surprise that I concider taking the evening adult's beginner class. So, as of now I still have not followed up on that, but I plan to over the course of the holiday break, when I have time to focus and a little spare cash to pay for the 8 class course. The future looks bright in spite of all my lack of faith!
Striving to continue along the path at any cost, no matter what trial may lie ahead, there is great potential waiting in the wings,
The Dancing Devil Dog

No comments: